Tuesday, August 19, 2014

It's Hot Outside....



     The bird bath: 
      Where birds of all feathers gather together.


Our birdbaths are rather popular this time of year, with the temps soaring.


This Cardinal looks to me like he is saying, "Should I or shouldn't I?"



Waiting the in tree for his turn in the bird bath.



Got a little snack to pass the time....



Whoa! I don't know.  That's a big dude behind me....



The hotspot in our backyard.  This is where it's at.



"I think we make an awesome colorful combo, don't you?" said the Cardinal to the Dove.  And I might add, amazing Divine Design.




This time of year birds begin to go through a molt (replacement of all or part of their feathers).  Some undergo a second partial molt depending on the season, age and whether they are male or female.  But during that time, they can look very scruffy as all their feathers get renewed.  The Cardinal on the right is well into the molting process.  And did you know damaged feathers are replaced during a molt?  A feather that has been lost completely is replaced immediately.  It takes a lot of energy for a bird to build new feathers. More Divine Design in action.







 Our backyard.  Plenty of places for birds to take a dip and...



 plenty of places for birds to take a siesta or hide.







Little family gathering.



White-winged doves are graceful, gorgeous creatures even though, due to their size, they tend to monopolize the feeders and the birdbaths.




This juvenile Cooper's Hawk has yet to learn to be afraid of potential predators.  I was able to get within 10 feet of him and take all the photos I wanted.  He just posed majestically as if we had a photo shoot appointment.





REFLECTIONS....


No comments:

Post a Comment